Authentic Cornish Pasties

Cornish Pasties



This recipe has been in my family far longer than I have! It was originally my great grandmothers, but could go back even further. I have this old recipe card, written down for my mother while she was actually pregnant with me. Apparently her version of the recipe needed a little... adjustment! And so she got a copy of her grandmothers original recipe from Cornwall England. Hard to get more authentic than that!


The actual written recipe reads more like a series of 'suggestions' and updates than anything, but I kind of like that approach because it represents one of the truths of cooking! Careful measuring is great, but in the end you really need to pay attention to whats going on in the bowl/pan/stove and adjust as necessary!

These came out perfectly using the 3 to 1 ratio flour to fats, slightly less than the full two cups of water. I skipped the vinegar that seems pointless! The reason you cant be given a hard and fast number on the amount of water to add is that it will vary by several favors such as; humidity, altitude,  attitude, and the randomness of the universe!

I hope you folks enjoy these, they were fun to make & share!




Cornish Pasties recipe - Cornwall England

For the pastry:
  • 3 Lbs all purpose flour
  • 1 Lb solid fat, I suggest half butter and half lard
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ~2 cups ice water 
For the filling:
  • 2-3 Lbs lean beef, top round, London broil etc
  • 4 large onions
  • 7 large potatoes 
  • salt & pepper to taste
Assembly:
  • rolling pin
  • 9 inch round plate
  • butter & milk




Enjoy!


Comments